Wednesday, October 19, 2011

How to have fun while running a rough race

Sunday's Nationwide Columbus 1/2 Marathon was a rough race. It just started out that way, and I knew that it was not going to be a PR day. So what do you do? Previously, I tended to pout, stew, push to hard, give up, or otherwise remain miserable. It was colder than weather.com had predicted. No Ohio sunshine came through and I had about 1/2 second to warm-up. I know that sounds strange to say that I need to warm-up for 13.1 mile races, but I do. I need lots of time which is why I prefer the marathon distance. Nothing seem to fall into place, and I had a decision to make. Be miserable or enjoy the race anyway. For the first time ever, I decided to enjoy it. I had the most fun I've ever had. I looked around. I waved to people. I smiled...alot. I knew there was no way I was going to PR so why not enjoy the race anyway. I prayed for people, all 100,000 spectators. For the gorgeous mansions and burned out slums we ran through, for the German Village and the Financial district, I prayed. Thanking God sure does get rid of misery, even at mile 11 when my IT band disagreed with my pace. The choice was clear, misery or joy. Prayer and thankfulness always trump misery and defeat, no matter how many miles are left to go.

Blessings as you run!

No comments:

Post a Comment