Sunday, August 23, 2009

Running with Children

We are both runners. Kurt was a state champion hurdler and NAIA national competitor - I, the late bloomer, ran two marathons right before we had children (missed qualifying for Boston by 7 minutes!!). We have three children and the rule in the house is that there WILL be running. They are fast but I can still outlast them - for the moment. Now comes the hard part, how do I continue to pursue my running passion with three small children in tow?

I know finding time for exercise is a daunting challenge. Here are a few ideas that we have tried in our house.

This is how I am still able to run.

-Run on the weekends or when Kurt is home
-Run whenever my mom or mother-in-law come to visit the kids (15 mins I beg - just 15 mins) and they love to help out.
-Run when other family members come over (I do cue them into my goal so that they don't feel used and abused or that I don't love them).
-Run early in the morning when the kids are still sleeping (not happening right now because Ethan has his first breakfast at 5:30am.)
-Run or cross train with the kids in the jogger. I have a double so I have Andrea walk/run with me. She's five years old and can do a walk/jog of a mile or so while the boys sleep.

I also do a video called MTV Power Yoga, ride a stationary bike that has an enclosed base so no fingers can get caught, and chase the kids in the backyard for a sprint work out.

Why bother at this busy season in life to even try to run?

-I want our children to understand the value in the discipline of running or exercising daily.
-I want to be physically strong enough to do whatever God asks me to do.
-I want to be running my whole life, through pregnancy, nursing, tandem nursing, and all of the above as a testimony to Christ's grace in my life.
-I just plain love it.
-I am a better wife and mother because I am a runner.

Psalm 119:32 "I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free. "

Running is my rebellion against a sedentary culture; it a celebration of the Life that Christ has given me. Be encouraged, even if running is more like shuffling or even more like walking, run as unto the Lord. He will direct the path.

Psalm 119:133 "Direct my footsteps according to your word..."

1 comment:

  1. I saw that you commented at the Cultures for Health starter giveaway at Passionate Homemaking. I’m hosting the same one, just through tomorrow night (9/24). You can enter here: http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2009/09/16/giveaway-cultures-for-health-starter-cultures/
    Good luck!
    Katie @ Kitchen Stewardship
    (Sorry to leave as a comment; your profile didn't have an email.)

    ReplyDelete