Monday, July 12, 2010

Trail Running at Alley Park




If you are ever in our neck of the woods, you simply must check out Alley Park. Located a few miles south of Lancaster, this little slice of heaven is perfect for trail running. I am slightly biased since it was also where Kurt and I were married but, as you can see, it truly is beautiful.

Yesterday, my ever-wise husband sent me out of the house with no time frame. I told him where I was going in case I got eaten by a mountain lion. He graciously gave me his pocket knife, which would be completely useless again such a lovely creature but may work for other smaller predators like unleashed dogs. I met two. Both survived unscathed.

Hiking, trail running, sliding, almost falling my way through the perimeters of Alley Park, I learned a few things.

a) I do not like spider webs.

b) For all our technology, God's creation is still bigger, more majestic than we can ever create. It's older and more relentless.

c) Trail Running, getting lost ("is this a trail?") and finding my way back is scary but tons of fun.

d) The light and shadows of old forest and rock formations are breath-taking.

After almost an hour in the woods, I wish I could say I had a major epiphany. I didn't. I still don't know what to do about my 3 year old's relentless hitting spree, my 5 year old's eloquent defiance, or my 13 month old's new climbing addiction. But I did feel like I could at least be a relatively decent, calm human being when I got home. For that alone, it was worth it.

Anyone have any experience with trail running? Advice on how to quickly tell the difference between tree roots and snakes would also be greatly appreciated...



This blog was published in spite of being covered in slobbery wet, breakfast laden kisses from my 13 month old.

No comments:

Post a Comment