Thursday, September 2, 2010

Dreaming BIG: Starting the training for Boston

Yesterday, September 1st, I started training to qualify for the Boston Marathon. I realize that this is going to be a very long road...literally.  And I also tend to dream big without counting the cost. I have run two marathons before and vowed this time I would remember the cost.  Now, I have three small children and running is totally changed.  More factors to consider. I am homeschooling my 6 and almost 4 year olds and still nursing my 15month old (who is teething!).  I understand and respect the distance, and I remember the painful pace required to qualify. In 2003, I missed qualifying by 7 minutes, which is a lot in terms of pace. I am seven years older now, three kids later, and substantially less time to train. However, I am using the FIRST program in Bill Pierce's book Run Less, Run Faster, which outlines the research from the Furman Institute.  I also have the tremendous support of my loving husband, who has encouraged me every step, and my family and a couple close friends who care for my little bears so that I can run.  So, I am counting down to the Columbus Marathon which is a qualifying marathon for Boston. 7 weeks from now to beat my time by 7 minutes that I ran 7 years ago. I laugh. I like numbers. But I also have a deep respect for the number 26.2 miles. Anything can happen and my half-marathon time 1:51:29 sets me still too slow to qualify by three minutes. I have a lot of work to do ahead of me, but I am intensely thankful for each step. I know what a gift I have been given and I know that I was created to run......

No comments:

Post a Comment